Saturday, August 2, 2008

Taking down the paper tube

The delivery guy wasn't using it anymore anyway. On to the Intertubes!

I've stopped the Boston Globe. It's not that I don't have time to read it. It's just better on line, no ink on my fingers, no unopened papers piling up in the recycle bin, no scattered clutter throughout the house. The print contrast on line is better, too, and at my age you can't get enough of that.

From the dead-tree edition, I will miss the Sidekick section with its concentration of comics, puzzles, and poker columns.

The telesales guy I spoke with was meekly down at the mouth about my cancellation. I'm guessing that the circulation hemorrhage hasn't slackened at all.

A ton of printing press and distribution infrastructure is going away. Anyone who has ever smelled a paper mill knows this will be better for the environment (though not without a cost in unemployment). All that will remain is figuring out how to turn pulpwood into building products, which may have already been done for all I know.

No comments: