McCain's suspension of his campaign is insincere bullshit. Its sole intent is to benefit him politically by:
- Freezing the status quo to stop Obama's rise in the polls
- Seizing the news cycle for photo ops (and they're all free!)
- Giving him the chance to pretend to ride to the rescue as if a Wall St. bailout were San Juan Hill
- Evading a debate for which he could never be sufficiently prepared (though in the mean time he'll try)
Obama should say, "McCain is welcome to suspend his campaign if he can't manage to advance more than one effort concurrently, but is that really what we need in a President?"
Or maybe Harry Reid has already done better:
"If there were ever a time for both candidates to hold a debate before the American people about this serious challenge, it is now," he added.Update: Obama takes the best of both (at the same CNN link)!
"It's my belief that this is exactly the time when the American people need to hear from the person [who] will be the next president," Obama said. "It is going to be part of the president's job to deal with more than one thing at once. It's more important than ever to present ourselves to the American people."Update: I really should have been much snarkier about this, now that I think about it. Here are some possibilities:
- : I haven't finished my homework, so I'd better pull the .
- Granddad needs his nap.