Thursday, April 17, 2008

Dialing for dollars

Yesterday, my caller ID says area code 602, and since I'm expected to hear from someone, I pick up the phone even though I have no idea where 602 is (Phoenix, by the way). A woman dialing for the RNC starts her spiel.

I just laugh out loud. She pauses. Restraining myself from profanity, I tell her that Duhbya has ruined the country terribly over the last seven years, that I hope someone can fix it, and that I wouldn't vote for any Republican.

Sotto voce, she says, "I'm hearing comments like yours a lot."

Then, for a wider boiler room audience, "We didn't know that you were no longer a Republican."

I didn't bother to tell her that, no matter what her computer might say, I've never been a Republican and I've never given a single cent to the RNC.

What I have done is sent their business reply envelopes back stuffed with their pleas to further screw up the country. I guess I won't be getting those any more.

No comments: