Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Blogrolling - the Inverse Square

Since Pharyngula is a pretty big pond well-filled with capable science sharks, I had hoped - and still hope - to reenter the science conversation via my friend Tom Levenson's science writing blog, the Inverse Square. Little did I know that I would also reenter the poetry conversation, too, but I'm charmed by today's item, among others.

For as long as I've known him, which at this point is a long damn time, Tom has had a gift for quotation and a mindfulness of deft phrasing. Like his son now following after him, he had committed favorite phrases to memory at a time when that was not stylish. These pursuits are handed down in families, which helped us recognize each other as kin when we met. His spelling may be spotty, and his handwriting is so bad that there are probably fewer than a handful of his many friends in the whole world who can actually read it.

Still, all the fine language washing over him - since birth I'm sure - echo in and polish his own vivid essays as they pin down the ephemeral world in lasting images, and that is what good writing is about.

Besides all that, it's some pretty good wit and wisdom, eh, Tom?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never waning, old friend.

Thanks for the lovely shout-out.

Now lets get back to the real job of dissecting McCain.