Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Voters say the darndest things

Man in the street stories are notoriously worthless, but this one got a lot of strong quotes:

"I have a lot of fears," said Patricia Day, a substitute aide for the local school system. Fears? "The Democrats. That's what I'm afraid of. I'm not against Democrats in general. It's just Hillary and Obama. I think there are too many secrets they are hiding, and they're not honest about their intentions in office."
Day has been listening to wingnut talk radio, and she don't know nuthin'.
"It's just the way I was raised," Wayne said. "I'm a strong Christian." He specifically singled out Barack Obama. "I refuse to vote for a president who refuses to uphold the Pledge of Allegiance," said Wayne, citing false information in wide Internet circulation, though he quickly admitted: "Granted, that might be hearsay."
There's no skepticism among those who eagerly lap up wingnut lies. It has been clear for decades that Democrats and liberals need to use every refutation to hammer home the point that practically everything the wingnuts say is a lie of some sort.
"I guess I trust [the Republicans] more," [Terry] Barton said. "I guess I think they're not as sloppy as the Democrats."
Hmm, I wonder what adjective 'sloppy' is standing in for. The nicest suggestion I have is 'diverse'.
"I'm a Christian lady and I kind of like that Huckabee, Huckletree, however you pronounce it. And I think McCain is too old. And I like that fella who is running against Hillary, and he was my choice until I heard what he said the other day," [said Naomi Winans]. She wouldn't say what he said. "And I didn't want a woman. That's a man's job being president. I don't think God put a woman here to run the country. Well, her husband was in there already. They don't need that much more money, do they?"
Any excuse'll do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liberals are their own worst enemy. They're not very useful to the rest of us either.

lovable liberal said...

Four illustrations of dumb conservatives, and all anonymous has to do is blame liberals! I think we're hearing from one of the 29% (or is it 28% now?). Patricia Day maybe...

lovable liberal said...

Apparently not Ms. Day, since anon found this old post with the Google query "thing liberal voters want".