Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mirabelli dictu

I actually got some hot stove baseball right before it was the conventional wisdom:

Among position players, Mirabelli is gone. The Sox may invite him to camp, but Kevin Cash is Wakefield’s next catcher. He may not be the catcher of the future since he’s already 30, but he’s the bridge to whoever comes up next.
When they say Mirabelli's bat had slowed over the off season, what they really mean is that his eyes had slowed. It's not the swinging muscles that go, nor the decision-making speed, it's the visual information required to decide and then swing. Jim Rice's eyes went south in a hurry at the end of his career.

There's just no recovering from the aging and rigidity of the lenses. I should know, I have a prescription for multifocal glasses in my pocket.

Doug, by the way, thanks for the memories. You had a good run here, and I appreciate how important you were to the Sox.

No comments: