I heard a couple of people claim tonight that Presidential elections don't make a difference. What I don't understand is how anyone can claim that after the last seven years.
Here are a few items that would be different had Florida's will been done and this man been rightly elected President:
- No war in Iraq with its price of 4000 dead and $3 trillion.
- No willful and bogus exaggerations of the scope of AUMF.
- No torture.
- No John Yoo claims of unfettered executive power.
- No reverse Robin Hood tax cut.
- Continued fiscal health.
- Few and uncontroversial signing statements.
- Two justices of the Supreme Court who would be at least moderate and thus: No series of decisions in favor of the imperial executive. Also, no Ledbetter decision against a clearly fair and just cause of action.
- More effective financial regulation (since Democrats actually believe in it) of the credit markets.
- Research dollars for alternative energy would already be bearing fruit.