Thursday, December 20, 2007

Odd language of faith

I love stories of survival. They've moved me for more than 40 years. There are not many books I recall from elementary school, but I remember a compendium of survival stories published by Reader's Digest that I read in second grade.

That the Dominguez family survived in the snow is conventionally a miracle, but everyone in the CNN story is apportioning credit and blame bassackwards. The snow was an act of God; the rescue was human.

The definition of miracle seems to be something good that one had given up expecting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also love survival tales, and I'm so glad this family made it. But if they hadn't, would that outcome have been attributed to God, too? "Boy, they must have pissed Jesus off. If only they had prayed a little harder."

Oddly, God seems only to be given credit for favorable outcomes.