Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Mr. Reagan, tear down this economy

When I said a couple of weeks ago that there was nothing Republicans wouldn't screw up for sake of private profit, I had no idea it would be so graphically illustrated so soon. Here's one of the graphs - on income inequality:


No one should be surprised by this. It is intentional Republican policy to make rich people richer.

Ronald Reagan made people feel better as a sop for not making them better off. Just say no.

(h/t Susan Gardner on DailyKos)

2 comments:

dan said...

I'm wondering about something that always puzzled me. Is it better (by your standards of ethics, of course) to have more equality even if the poor end up worse off? Is it better to all be equally poor than to have us all rich, but some richer than others?
The reason I ask is because I was told that every class became better off under Reagan, though certainly some did better than others. Have you not heard of this, do you not care, or have I been misinformed?

lovable liberal said...

Well, you have put the lie to your claim to be dispassionately searching for specious arguments in the small pond of the Internet.

Actually, Democrats make everyone better off, while Republicans make the rich disproportionately rich, though still not richer in absolute terms.

Yep, I covered it. You should have been reading me then too.