Friday, August 17, 2007

Omerta

Everything James Comey said was true.

Mr. Ashcroft, the notes said, reviewed his legal objections to the eavesdropping program and complained to Mr. Gonzales and Mr. Card that he had been “barred from obtaining the advice he needed on the program by the strict compartmentalization rules of the WH,” a reference to the extreme secrecy imposed by the White House.
Now I understand why John Ashcroft threatened to resign, despite hailing from the right wing of the right-wing Republican Party. The White House wanted carte blanche from him. "Trust us," they said, but he must have been affronted by their refusal to trust him. I would have been.

The only thing that matters to the Bushists is total, unequivocal, personal loyalty. Alberto Gonzales is attorney general because he has it, shows it, flaunts it. He says to Congress, I dare you to try anything against me. I am consigliere to the don.

No comments: