Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Can happy news last?

The morning after the Red Sox won the World Series again (!), I wrote this to a couple of friends:

How sweet it is.

“You’re growing up at a time when the Red Sox winning seems normal,” I said to my daughter this morning. She just rolled her eyes. But there has been a sea change that will become more obvious as kids grow up, replacing the old dread and fear that we have felt for years in varying degrees.

As a naturalized citizen of Red Sox nation, I’ve felt less dread than native citizens, and 2004 cured me. I think 2007 will cure a lot more people of the anhedonic expectation that the Sox are going to break our hearts every year.

Current 40-man roster is here.

I’d keep Lowell if possible. Does the job, not a prima donna. He’ll be expensive after this year but not as expensive as A-Rod, since he’s the AL MVP. I just don’t see a clubhouse fit for A-Rod, even though I’d love to have 150 RBIs. Still, I would guess that Lowell may not stay – unless he’s smart enough to overrule his agent and stay with a winning franchise.

I think Schilling’s through here. The possible competitors for the starting rotation next year:
  • Beckett
  • Matsuzaka
  • Lester
  • Clement
  • Wakefield
  • Buchholz
  • Schilling
I think Schilling falls off this list due to expense and the need to bring the young pitchers along. Clement is a big question mark, however, and if he’s not recovering well, Schilling is a possibility. I’m a fan of Wakefield because he eats up innings and saves the staff. He’s a little scary in the postseason, but I think he’s worth it.

The bullpen competition shapes up as:
  • Papelbon
  • Okajima
  • Delcarmen
  • Snyder (spot starter again, too)
  • Hansen (could compete for a starting job, too)
  • Donnelly
  • Gagne (many fans will have a heart attack, but this acquisition is going to work)
  • Timlin (probably odd man out at his age, but his postseason gives him a little opportunity)
  • Tavarez (really, I doubt this, despite his yeoman work in the spring)
Pick twelve! Here’s my guess:
  1. Beckett
  2. Matsuzaka
  3. Buchholz
  4. Clement
  5. Wakefield
  6. Lester
  7. Papelbon
  8. Okajima
  9. Delcarmen
  10. Gagne
  11. Hansen
  12. Donnelly
Any of the last three could get bumped, as could Clement.

Among position players, Mirabelli is gone. The Sox may invite him to camp, but Kevin Cash is Wakefield’s next catcher. He may not be the catcher of the future since he’s already 30, but he’s the bridge to whoever comes up next.

The infield is set with the exception of third, depending on what Lowell finds in the free agent market. If the Yankees buy him, we’ll just have to rationalize that he’ll never again have a year like 2007. Of course, Lugo has been weak, but I’d give him another year – or half anyway. I really miss Orlando Cabrera. Subs, whatever. Hinske’s gone – surely there’s someone cheap, young, and better. Cora could stay or go.

The outfield really depends on who wants who. Crisp and Drew are available for trade, I would think. Manny’s contract is still too big to move anywhere but New York. If the Yankees really want him badly enough to take all of his contract, I might reconsider A-Rod to replace those RBIs. Of course, he’d need to let Dustin Pedroia kick his ass to get into this club.

Ellsbury should get 500+ at bats in 2008, which ought to be exciting.

Will Dave Magadan get offered a manager’s job?

Of course, events have immediately outpaced my opinion. I don't care that Schilling's a Republican; if he wants just one year at moderate money, keeping him would be a good idea. The Sox picked up their option on Tavarez. That's a good short money move, but he's still not guaranteed a spot on the 25-man major league roster come April. Also, I had not been aware that Clement could file for free agency, and he did.

Oh, and in the outfield, I don't see Drew as movable, so I guess Crisp has to go. Coco never got it going here, but I like his playing style as a complement to the big boppers. Still, he had two years to prove his offense, and he never did.

6 comments:

Big Dan said...

WRONG! Schilling signed with the Red Sox. Hello, fellow Red Sox fan, and obvious sufferer until 2004! Remember '75, '86, the collapse of '88 w/Bucky Dent, '67, etc...?

Big Dan said...

I don't think the Red Sox need a thing, because of the rookies Pedroia & Ellsbury. They will be superstars, and they already got Ramirez & Ortiz. Don't forget about JD Drew. I agree with you, I love Lowell. Julio Lugo is pretty bad, though. But they won it despite him anyway. Lookout for Clay Bucholtz next year. Beckett/Schilling/Bucholtz and Lester, Clement (?), they're going to win it again.

lovable liberal said...

big dan, I'm actually happy to have been wrong about Schill. Since he's his own agent, he made a choice about more than just money, and it works both for him and for the Sox.

There's really a traffic jam for spots in the starting rotation. Schilling might actually have trouble cracking it - wouldn't that be an embarrassment of riches.

So, today, I see it this way:
- Beckett
- Matsuzaka
- Lester
- Schilling
- the winner of Wakefield, Buchholz, and Clement (if he doesn't say goodbye)

I really like Wakefield because he gobbles up innings and will do anything he's asked to do. Yes, he can be scary, but he saves the bullpen and keeps the staff strong.

But I can't see sitting Buchholz all year.

Tavarez will be in long relief and available for spot starts if needed.

Yep, the Sox could win again next year.

Big Dan said...

I guess we're friend for life...because you actually have a label "Red Sox"...you pass the test!

Schill & the Red Sox are one of the greatest matches ever, it can't be underestimated.

I learned something this year: Ramirez is better than I even thought. Did anyone but me notice his outstanding defense in the post-season, after years of having his "ass above his head" going for flies the last several years? Serisoulsy! He's clutch in the playoffs, his defense was outstanding.

What I loved about the Red Sox post-season, was the way they took pitches. That lineup absolutely drives opposing pitchers INSANE with high pitch counts. Youkilis is INSANE with the amount of pitches he takes!

And here's my insight: Dice K will be way better next year after 1 year of adjustment. Remember how he slammed shut the Rockies? AT Colorado? WOW! Heaven for me!

I loved the Red Sox since I could walk and talk...could never figure it out b/c I'm from Pennsylvania. I have tons of relatives in New England, though, they took me to a game @ 10 years old...I saw Luis Tiant, Yaz, Evans, Burleson, the whole 1972 crew...I guess that was it!

Finally, years of being frustrated as a fan are paying off...THANK GOD! Well, YOU know what it's like...

Big Dan said...

btw...I'm a fantasy baseball extraordinaire...I won my league this year...$1,000 CBS league with a bunch of GREAT fantasy player friends of mine. It's the ONLY geek thing I do! lol!

I had Beckett & AROD...that helps, huh? Still only squeeked by a 1.5 point victory in the league. First time I ever won it. I've known the guys in the league since 1993...they are sharks, I'm honored to beat these guys.

Red Sox: Don't think they need anything...for the first off-season in my life, I really don't think they need anything. Great times for us! Huh? My son goes to college in Boston, so he was giving me play-by-play of all the crazies in the bars during the WS! Pretty good stuff!

lovable liberal said...

I also have a 'yankees suck' label!

I don't go back as far as you do, but I was yelling at the TV and John McNamara to sub Stapleton in for Buckner in 1986, which he had done in late innings the whole damn regular season.

I actually grew up a St. Louis Cardinals fan, so I was on the other side in 1967. But by 2004, nope. I was lucky enough to be at Fenway for game 5 of the ALCS, the one David Ortiz won with a bloop single in the bottom of the 14th; the place was rocking. That will always be a peak time in memory.