Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Voices from the past

Roxanne Jaugerai calls her murdered friend's voicemail just to hear her recorded voice again. In the year 2008, soon to expire into history, I also lost a beloved friend, although to cancer, not to gunfire.

I still have my friend's last voicemail to me, a completely ordinary message about meeting for coffee or lunch. I keep extending its lifetime in Verizon's computer, as if I could still extend her lost lifetime. At least I still have her voice to echo in my ears.

As does every year, 2008 had good times and bad. My dream is that 2009 will be better, but I know that it will nonetheless mix good and bad. I just hope for more good and less bad.

New Years is a time to consider, assess, and reconsider. The world is far from perfect. Each of us is far from perfect. How can we make improvements? What can we make better?

No comments: