Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The future of journalists

I've been thinking about some wild speculation on the future of journalism, but meanwhile I just noticed something about the future of journalists. I had previously noticed that Mac Daniel, once of the Globe, is now spokesman for the Turnpike Authority. Today, I was reading along about the sheer brazen gall of a man who put his 4-year-old son on the Massport payroll. When the story got to the testimonials to the guilty man's character, my attention was flagging, but I skimmed down to the bottom and found a familiar name, Matthew Brelis, speaking for Massport.

Brelis used to report for the Globe, too. I knew him when he worked in the western suburbs. My memory is that he worked for a different paper, but I could be wrong. While I wasn't a fan at the time, he moved up, and eventually started reporting on aviation, including the 9/11 attacks.

Who knows, this may be one reason reporters are no longer eager to dig. Their industry is shrinking, and they never know when they'll need a job.

No comments: